It's the weekend before Thanksgiving, one of my favorite weekends to hit up my local farmers' market for the vegetables and fruits that will be a part of my holiday meal. If it's not too cold for farmers' markets where you live, and you don't have any plans this weekend, that's what I would suggest.
The first of my family (my bro) rolls into town this weekend with Tata (my mom) arriving on Monday. She'll be accompanied by her two best friends and their families.
I haven't seen my sister in a year because she's been apprenticing at Arzak (#9 on the World's Top 50 Restaurants list) in San Sebastian, Spain. She's coming into town for Thanksgiving, and I can't wait. Before she left a little over a year ago, she spent a couple of weeks with us in Portland. I remember thinking that it seemed so long until I would be able to see her again. A year has flown by. How much has changed. Anyway, I'm so proud of her. I can't wait
to give her a big hug for her to make me some pintxos.
- MyBlogLog has cool stats that are far more informative than Technocraparati
- Diana Krall has a new CD out, From This Moment On. It's pretty swingin' and she dedicates it to Declan. Awwwww. (Lucky bitch.) It would make a unique baby shower gift.
- Oakland, CA-based company GiddyGiddy makes the cutest hair clips ever. Giddygiddy or, rather, "giri giri" is a term I grew up using. It's Japanese for "cowlick," but in Hawaii it's ubiquitous. Everyone there says "giri giri" instead of swirl or cowlick, not just Japanese people. Cute name for a barrette company. Please support this mama-owned business! Holiday gifts anyone?
- Lands' End is launching a Most Memorable Moments Baby Contest and is in search of babies doing anything from napping with teddy to drooling ice cream. One winner every month will receive a $250 gift card. Check it out.
- This week, Rachel Weisz admitted publicly that she drank while pregnant because "in Europe they drink it." To everyone that jumped all over her, I say, "Lighten the fuck up." Now, by no means am I advocating drinking during pregnancy. Alls I'm saying is I drank the very occassional glass of wine or champagne late in my pregnancy (maybe once or twice a month), and I know many (many) people that did the same. And, no, we are not a bunch of alcoholics so stop with your "if you can't wait 40 weeks" bullshit. Drinking the odd small glass of wine during pregnancy is more common that people think (and perfectly acceptable in some countries). Frankly, I'm glad she said it. A sip of wine here or there late in pregnancy is not the same as someone drinking forties, using meth, and eating Doritos everyday while pregnant. But you do what's right for you. To Rachel Weisz I say, "Cheers, honey."
- I'm blogging Thanksgiving, with a special focus on easy side dishes. Check back throughout the week for Thanksgiving recipes and recollections.
- And, speaking of, blogs I'm digging: My Life As A Reluctant Housewife, Kat's Kitchen Talk (meant to link sooner!), and Kalyn's Kitchen.