Okay, please bear with me all you folks not interested in blog advertising, but if you are, you need to know about this. (Full disclosure: I'm working with BlogHer to help get bloggers like you and you and yes, you to join us!)
BlogHer Ads has just reopened itseff to bloggers wanting to join the ad network. If you have a blog that's more than 3 months old and you post regularly (at least 2-3 times a week) that's pretty much all the requirements right there. Easy, right?
Okay, maybe you have questions like:
- Can I be a dude and join?
- Can I keep my blog and my URL as-is?
- Can I keep my voice? (Cuz sometimes I say the F-word. A lot.)
- Can I keep my text ads and sponsored links?
- Can I keep my graphic ads?*
- Can I send in applications for more than one blog, cuz I have, like, three?
- Can I control (accept/decline) the ads that appear on my blog?
- Can I write about topics like food, politics, business, fashion, crafts, and technology?
- Will someone help me if I have questions?
The answer is YES! You can do all those things. BlogHer Ads is looking for blogs that are more than 3 months old with great writing on a variety of topics. BlogHer manages the code and sends you your check. You don't have to do much more than find a spot on your blog (left or right nav above the fold) for the ad strip, and write consistently.
You have more questions like:
- Do I have to be a technical expert cuz I know nothing about code?
- Do I have to be a popular, high-traffic blogger?
- Do I have to accept Flash ads?
- Are ads based on clicks?
- Is this going to be hard?
The answer is NO!
No one needs to refer you, no one is going to reject you based on your traffic numbers. No one is going to tell you how you need to change your tone, voice, or content. Ads are based on impressions.
Blogher has people to help. They give you the ad code and tell you how to insert it and they don't care how many hits you get. Hey, if I can do it, you can do it. Seriously, I'm lame at coding. The folks behind the scenes are incredibly helpful. I know this because I've asked them LOTS of questions over the past year.
If you've been thinking about monetization and you're interested in BlogHer Ads, let me know. I can try to answer any questions you have and if not, I can certainly point you in the right direction.
**Updated to add: if you sign up, please also let me know!**
*Graphic ads from other networks must be below the fold (below 768 pixels).