Here's what I ended up doing with all those plums.
I can understand why my girls don't like plums. The juicy sweetness of a perfect plum can be a little tempered by the bitterness and chewiness of the skin. I'm not about to peel plums for them (and they don't like jam) so they can eat them this way.
SUMMERY PINK PLUM SALSA
I threw everything in the Cuisinart (pulsing the plums first, then the rest of the ingredients), but you can hand chop for a chunkier salsa. The sweetness of the plums really lends itself to salsa. Don't be afraid to use plenty of salt to bring out all the plummy flavor. This would also be yummy with grilled fish or pork or chicken.
- 10-15 ripe plums (depending on size), quartered and seeded (not peeled)
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 seeded serrano pepper, finely diced
- a good packed handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- juice of one lime
- zest of half a lime
- plenty of salt
Chop, whiz, or otherwise combine ingredients. Serve with thick tortilla chips. Makes about 2-3 cups of salsa.