I finalized my Thanksgiving shopping today. We've been through the farmer's market, the regular market, and I think it's safe to say that there is nothing left to buy at Costco, we cleaned it out. P.S. If you haven't bought your turkey yet, Costco has organic fresh turkeys for a little over $2.25/lb. That's practically the same price as those hormone- and antibiotic-laden Butterballs, so hie thee to your Costco for a better-for-you turkey.
Our menu is truly a collaborative effort as you will see. Our focus is mostly on seasonal, local foods, but a couple of side dishes were picked mainly because they just sounded so damn good. I'm cooking two turkey's this year because we got two smaller ones instead of one biggie, and I wanted to do one on the grill and one in the oven. So without further ado, I present, the Butler Family Thanksgiving 2008.
Appetizers (this is what we'll nosh on throughout the day while we watch the parade and football)
- Auntie Jill's (my sister's) Famous Clam Dip and Potato Chips
- Homemade gravlax (from local wild salmon) and mustard sauce
- Salumi (bresaola, fennel salami, prosciutto, Serrano ham)
- Assorted cheeses (P'tit Basque, Triple Cream Explorateur, Pt. Reyes Blue) w/ bread and crackers
- Crudités & olives
- Zia Gabriella's Salmon Mousse (made by my sister)
Then we will all go for a loooooooooong walk.
Thanksgiving Dinner (served at dinner time)
- Auntie Sheila's Mimosa Turkey done on the grill (basted with champagne, orange juice, and butter—will post recipe!)
- Traditional Turkey with Whiskey glaze
- Mashed Potatoes
- Twice-baked potatoes
- La Brea Bakery Stuffing
- Fresh Cranberry-Orange Sauce
- Green beans (still deciding on preparation)
- Walnut, Blue Cheese, and Cranberry Tart
- Southern Fairytale's Yellow Squash and Zucchini Casserole
- Spicy Hot Pepper (from Auntie Charlene's CSA) and Fresh Corn Pudding
- AMomTwoBoys' Three Cheese and Prosciutto Cauliflower Gratin
- Suebob's Chestnut, fennel, and shallot confit
- Butternut squash puree
Then maybe we'll take another looooooong walk before:
- Pumpkin Pie (baked by my hippie church's Senior High Youth Group)
- Auntie Jill's Apple Pie
- Sour Cherry Pie
- Coffee & Port
What are you cooking?