I've been getting progressively sicker for the last week and today it hit me like a ton of bricks. I didn't get up today until noon and never before in my life have I haven't to take NyQuil so badly. Alas, that's not so good for the babe so I'm pushing tea and orange juice and just trying to rest. I did manage to make dinner tonight (with Wallie's help), so there's that.
This week, thanks to a sponsorship from Swanson's I'm going to be cooking up a couple of new-to-me stuffing/dressing recipes. After asking around on Facebook and Twitter, I'm going to try my hand at a cornbread-chorizo stuffing and a traditional oyster dressing which, despite the fact that it's so... traditional, I've never had before.
Normally, I'm a stuffing "simple traditionalist." My family stuffing always contains just a few ingredients: butter, onions, celery, artisan bread cubes, fresh herbs (sage, marjoram, thyme), broth (from simmering the turkey neck and giblets), salt and pepper, and that's it. Once, cool, it all gets stuffed into the turkey with the extra baked in a baking dish on the side. This year I'm going to grill the turkey so we'll have our dressing on the side: one our family traditional dressing, and the other either the cornbread or the oyster, depending on which we like better.
I'm going with this Food & Wine recipe (halved) for the oyster dressing, but with Italian instead of sourdough bread since I'm not a sourdough fan.
For the chorizo cornbread stuffing, this Crock-Pot version looks good (without the cheese. Weird?), but this Sunset recipe (again, halved) might be more up my alley. (If you make either kind of dressing and have tips, trick, or hints for me, please share!)
Here's what I have going on for the week (mainly to go with the leftover stuffing.
- Monday: Turkey meatloaf (ground turkey, a can of Cream of Chicken soup, some cheddar cheese, onion, oatmeal, herbs and spices mushed together by Wallie), rice, raw kale and avocado salad (I'll share my recipe this week. It's so delish.)
- Tuesday: Roasted bone-in turkey breast with oyster dressing, steamed broccoli
- Wednesday: (protein TBD, maybe pork loin), cornbread and chorizo dressing, salad
- Thursday: Leftovers, probably
- Friday: Co-hosting a Korean Cultural Night at Bunny and Wallie's school
- Saturday & Sunday: Not sure yet, but I am hoping for vegetarian Indian and possibly Dungeness crab!
How about you!